Monday, October 02, 2006

Watching Movies and Re-runs Over and Over Again

My latest obsession is Casablanca. I have a subscription to Netflix but I've had the same movies sitting in my apartment for more than a month. So basically, I am wasting twelve dollars a month while I watch re-runs of Girlfriends or Nick at Nite or put in one of my DVDs or VHS movies that I've seen at least a dozen times.

Is it my ADD-tendencies? Yes, partially why I end up watching what I've already seen is because I don't have to pay that much attention and I can multi-task. I can be cooking dinner, checking my email, even listening to music while watching something I've seen.

Is it because I have a deep appreciation for cinematic genius and classic stories? How many times do I need to see a certain line delivered over and over again? How can I still laugh at Will Smith's cheekiness when I already know verbatim what he's about to say?

Every once in a while I look up from my multi-tasking and I notice something new and clever about one of my favorite movies or sitcom episodes.

Check out the above picture from a scene in Casablanca... look at the way the champagne glasses are placed! Equally spaced apart, Sam's in the foreground. A lot of thought went into every scene in this movie... getting everything on the screen so it was just right: body language, the placement of objects, the camerawork, the soundtrack and lighting -- all make a subtle statement. Some of the lines in this movie seem so cheesy, and we've heard them referenced so many times that it is hard to evaluate the movie from a fresh perspective. But given that I've watched this movie half a dozen times since I bought it a month ago, I think I like it for itself and not just for its impact on pop culture.

Anyway, in my true multi-tasking-attention-deficit style, I got distracted from doing something else so I could write this post. And now my movie is almost over... what to do, watch it again, watch another one, or turn off the tv?

I think I'll watch it again.

1 comment:

pk said...

i think the number of times you've watched this movie makes up for the number of times i have: zero :) (gasp!)